Body found washed up on beach near Brighton after search during Storm Noa

A body has been found on a beach after a search operation off Brighton Palace Pier.

A search operation for somebody believed to have been swept out to sea as Storm Noa hit the UK was called off this morning, Sussex police said.

Lifeboats, the coastguard helicopter and police started the search after the alarm was raised about 4pm on Wednesday.

The search was launched following reports of a person in the water at the Doughnut Groyne, close to Brighton Palace Pier, the RNLI said.

The body was found at 8.15am on Thursday, Sussex Police said.

It comes after a woman also died after being spotted in the water off Brighton beach on Tuesday.

The woman was found near Brighton Marina and confirmed deceased, the RNLI told Sky News.

More from UK

A Coastguard spokeswoman said: “Shortly after 4pm (on Wednesday), HM Coastguard received reports of a person in the water at Doughnut Groyne close to Brighton Pier.

“An extensive search of the area took place throughout the evening until 9pm in challenging conditions.

“The Newhaven, Littlehampton and Shoreham Coastguard rescue teams, alongside Shoreham and Newhaven RNLI all-weather lifeboats, Sussex Police and the Coastguard helicopters from Lee-On-Solent and Lydd were sent to assist.

“Further searches have been conducted from 6am (on Thursday), in more favourable weather conditions.

“The search ended around 8am.”

An investigation into the circumstances is ongoing and further updates will be provided in due course, a spokesperson for Sussex Police said.

Describing the previous incident, the force spokesman said: “Emergency services conducted a search off Brighton beach shortly after 4pm on Tuesday 11 April.

“Sadly, the body of a woman was found. Her next of kin have been informed.

“Her death is not being treated as suspicious and a report will be prepared for HM coroner.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player


The Big One at Blackpool Pleasure Beach had to be stopped seconds before it reached the summit of its first drop.

Storm Noa unleashed winds reaching speeds of almost 100mph, causing travel chaos with ferries, motorways and trains disrupted and hundreds left without power.

A woman was badly injured after scaffolding collapsed onto a main shopping street in Farnham, Surrey.

And at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, people were forced to evacuate the town’s famous Big One rollercoaster due to the adverse conditions.